Adelyn walked through the tube so she wouldn't get dirty. Charlie crawled through it getting all the sand everywhere!
After the farm we headed into the buildings. Jimmy and I got some new Rainbows, I got a hat, we got Big Jim a Christmas present, I got my ring cleaned and Charlie got a lollipop (so she would stay in the stroller). Last, we headed over to the other Live Stock area to see more animals, eat the rest of the fair food we missed and see the pig races. Along the way Jimmy being the fun great Uncle and Daddy that he is was holding onto Adelyn's hand with one hand and Charlie's with the other. They were laughing and swinging and having a grand old time...until Charlie started crying the saddest cry we had ever heard. Even a paci couldn't fix it! Instantly Jimmy and I knew something was wrong. Charlie is a tough little cookie for being as clumsy as she is. She gets bumps, scrapes and bruises daily and does not shed a tear. (Well, she doesn't have tears but you know what I mean!) Because Charlie was crying we realized something must really be wrong. After only a few minutes we realized she would not move the arm that Jimmy was swinging her with. We went to the first aid station to get her some ice. We decided we would watch the pig races and if she was still whimpering after that we would take her to the ER. Well, our pig Strawberry won second in the pig races and Charlie still would not move her arm. So instead of getting my beloved corn, cotton candy and kettle corn we were off to the emergency room. Poor Jimmy just felt awful! We put her in the car and she wanted her paci, milk, Rexi the dinosaur and her besi (blanket) to comfort her. It was the saddest thing watching her try to hold all her lovies with her left arm and left foot because she wouldn't move her right arm. When we got to the ER they knew just what it was. Nursemaid's Elbow - Nursemaid's elbow is a partial dislocation of the elbow, which occurs when the lower part of the arm (forearm) slips out of its normal position at the elbow joint. Now Jimmy felt even more awful as he had to admit he did this to his daughter! The doctors told us it is very common and they see it all the time. Because the ER was so busy they just checked us in and had us sit on a gurney (How do you spell that word?) in the hallway - right where the paramedics come through the door to deliver their patients. Now Jimmy was sweating because there was a chance he was going to be seen by his fellow firefighters. If we were in a room he could have hid! (Unfortunately, the firemen did not happen to show up!) As we waited she happily ate fruit snacks, chips and milk and drove her little ambulance around the bed. The doctor had Jimmy sit on the end of the bed holding Charlie. She looked like a little bird holding her hurt wing. He came around from the back and put both his hands on her arm and wrist. He pulled, twisted and popped in back in place. She looked up at me and cried from hurt and fright. After a minute she stopped. Within another minute she grabbed the keys with her previously hurt arm and waved good-bye. For having a dislocated elbow she was mighty strong. Daddy promised her ice cream and she quickly forgave him.
FYI - Do not swing your children by the arms. Nursemaid's elbow happens to kids between 1 and 4 because the bones are not fully developed. After it happens once it is more common to happen again. It can happen by falling, swinging or even by putting a jacket on. Please be careful with Charlie's arms, especially her right one! Oh yea, I was going to snap a few photos of the ER experience but I didn't think it was appropriate! Jimmy already felt so awful I thought I better not photograph the memory as well...See you next year corn, cotton candy and kettle corn! I will be waiting for you!
I love all your fair pictures!!! Sounds like so much fun!
ReplyDeletePoor Charlie (and poor Jimmy)! I hope her arm is feeling better. I told Jamie all about it so he doesn't swing Sophie's arms too. The girls always like him to swing them up real high. So scary!!!